Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The Ultimate Hybrid: The Pumpkin-Pecan Pie

As we all are aware.  It is that time of year.  Thanksgiving, Christmas, parties and carbs carbs and more carbs. 


I feel like for this time of year it is the time for pies.  Pumpkin pies, Pecan Pies and Sweet Potato Pies.  Two of my absolute favorite pies are Pumpkin and Pecan.  But Pecan is just so sugary.  Its delicious but ever since I was a little girl my Dad would make this Pumpkin-Pecan Pie recipe.  


One year it even resulted in one of the pies catching fire!  But no worries I have devised an easier way of cooking it so that you won't need a fire extinguisher in your kitchen!


I know this is not a new recipe to many people but it is my all time favorite pie.  And a classic family recipe.  So I wanted to share it with everyone.  I recently made this pie for my workgiving and it was thoroughly loved.  Be sure to have some whipped cream or cool whip as it is the perfect compliment!


I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!



You will need a pie shell, 4 eggs, Sugar, whipping cream (or half and half or milk), maple syrup, Pumpkin puree, pecans, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. 



In one bowl you will mix 

  • 2 eggs
  • 15 oz of pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup of maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 1/3  cup of whipping cream
  • 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg

I always double the cinnamon because I love it but feel free to use less.  



Then mix well






Poor into prepared pie shell and then pinch the edges of the pie for a nice homemade effect.  You can use a fork to do this.  But I love the way it looks when I just pinch it shut!  Makes me feel like Snow White. LOL


Now lets prepare the filling:




Mix together 2 beaten eggs, 1 cup chopped pecans (again I did slightly more and mine was more of a rough chop because I love the big chucks on pecans.  It will look really nice!), 1/2 Cup of sugar (or brown sugar if you like a deeper richer flavor) and a 1/2 cup of maple syrup.  




Then taking a large spoon you will gently spoon the nut mixture over the pie.  DO NOT DUMP IT IN!  If you do that you will have all pecan in the middle and it won't look as nice or get that nice crust on the top of the pie.  Also your pie will dry out during the baking time.  




Then you will ever so gently take it to the oven.  I recommend putting a parchment lined cookie sheet underneath because your nut mixture bubbles over and spills.  And nobody has time for that!


Cook for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F and then for another 40 at 350 degrees F until done.  




Volia!  Your pie is done and bring it with you to your event or Thanksgiving.  It makes a great winter time pie.  I love it around Christmas time too!  


Please let me know what your favorite pie is in the comments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment